20-ish Questions with Happy Mondays’ and all-round house music diva, Rowetta!
Always writing and performing with dance producers around the world, with Happy Mondays or with Peter Hook and The Light.
2) Describe yourself in five words:
Mancunian, singer, funny, friend, independent.
3) What is the best advice you’ve ever been given?
Don’t rely on anyone, for anything!
4) Who or what inspires you?
Charitable and selfless people.
5) If you could only listen to one album for the rest of your life — what would it be and why?
Marvin Gaye: That’s The Way Love Is. I never tire of his voice. My favourite male voice and I love his songs.
6) Where will you be in five years time?
Living in Manchester or very close. Singing, writing and performing till I pop my clogs!
7) Which newspaper/s do you read?
Only the Manchester Evening News now as I was hacked by one of the tabloids.
8) Do you have any tattoos? Of what? Where?
I have a Celtic Trinity Knot on my left upper arm. It represents me and my two children and me and my two dogs.
9) What’s your greatest achievement?
Loads of singing ones but my ultimate greatest achievement has to be my kids. Very proud of both.
10) What was the last gig that you went to and was it any good?
It was Nile Rodgers and Chic at Manchester Apollo. One of the best gigs I’ve ever been too. I have seen them maybe five or six times and always end up on stage with them as Nile is really cool and loves the Mondays, but this was the best so far!
11) Have the hairs ever stood up on the back of your neck and if so, why?
The last time was at the Chic gig. Kimberly Davis’ vocals are seriously mind-blowing. One of the best female singers I’ve ever heard.
12) Do you think it’s funny that football fans say “we” when they talk about their team?
Not at all. We are family! We are United! We are the Reds! We believe!
13) Have you played football at any level? If so, what position do you or did you play?
When I was a kid I used to play five-a-side with the boys. A goal hanger like Gary Lineker.
14) Who is your favourite player or all time?
The King! Cantona!
15) Best and worst experiences at United?
So many good memories under Sir Alex, but I’m going to be current as we need to look ahead and say, winning the derby in April 2015. It was so good because now everyone believes in LVG and sees that there is a future after Sir Alex. The worst was losing at home with David Moyes in charge. I never believed. Just wanted him to go.
16) Who has been your favourite opposition (a team, domestic or foreign)?
Always enjoy seeing United playing against Bayern Munich. Beating them in 1999 in the Champions League Final will always be special and what a great year for us… winning the treble!
17) Who would win at wrestling between Shaun Ryder and Bez — and why?
Whoever was angriest at the time! Both hate losing so it would probably be too close to call.
18) Dead or alive, who would you most like to dine with and what would you discuss?
David Bowie or Prince. I just find them fascinating and I don’t usually get starstruck with musicians, but I have met both and both times I froze!
19) If you were a biscuit, which would you be?
A caramel dream or cream.
20) What would be the first thing you would do if today was your last day?
Have a party and tell those that matter that I love them.
21) If you had to describe Man City and its fans to a stranger, how would you do it?
Manchester’s 2nd team.